Facts About Yekaterinburg! All you Need To know about the 4th Largest City of Russia!
Yekaterinburg is the 4th largest city of Russia by its population. Having largest contribution towards the economy of Russia as an industrial city. This city is serving as the major pillar in the run of Russian affairs, after the capital city of Moscow and second largest city of St. Petersburg.
Interesting Facts About Yekaterinburg
Collection of interesting information and facts about Yekaterinburg is presented here for you.
About Yekaterinburg City
- This city has the total population of 1,349,772.
- It is ranked as 4th largest populated city of Russia.
- The total area of the city is 495 km2.
- The time zone of the city is UTC+06:00.
- The city has humid continental climate.
- Winters are severe and last for more than 6 months.
- In winters the temperature falls up to -45 degrees.
- Summers are short and are warmer too, lasts only for 2 months here.
- The average temperature during the summers is 18 degrees.
- This city population decreased badly in 1990’s. It was due to the outbreak of anthrax.
- The population started growing again in 21st century.
History of Yekaterinburg
- Sverdlovsk was the old name of this city in between 1924 to 1991.
- The city was founded in 1723 by Vasily Tatishchev and Georg Wilhelm de Gennin.
- The city was officially registered on November 18, 1723.
- It was granted the status of town in 1796.
- This city was the first industrial city of Russia. Dates back to eighteenth century.
- The city was built with huge amount of iron. It was covered with giant rock walls for protection.
- In early times, the city served as the fortress against the enemies.
- Catherine the great nominated the city as the administrative center in 1781.
Geography of Yekaterinburg
- Yekaterinburg is located on the border of Europe and Asia.
- It has the geographical area of 1,667 kilometers.
- It is located on the east of Moscow.
- The Easter side of the city faces Ural Mountains and Iset Rivers.
Administration of Yekaterinburg
- This city is the administrative center of Sverdlovsk Oblast.
- It has 29 rural establishments within the city.
- The administrative units of City are given the status of districts.
City Structure of Yekaterinburg
- The Vysotsky is the tallest skyscraper of Russia.
- The city is the center of Ural Airlines.
- Yekaterinburg is the main junction of Trans-Siberian Railways.
- This railway network joins this city to all parts of Russia.
- Yekaterinburg metro, buses and trolleys are the common public transport of the city .
Economy of Yekaterinburg
- This city is the Industrial Center of Russia and Sverdlovsk Oblast.
- The city is famous for its industries of heavy machinery, metal processing, metallurgy and military equipment making.
- These local industries are the economic backbone of Ural region and Russia.
For more details about investment and business opportunities in this city , click here.
Education in Yekaterinburg
The city is one of the best selections for studying in Russia!
- This city is known to be the educational center due to sixteen major universities in the city.
- Ural Federal University, Ural State University of Forestry, Ural State Mining University, Ural State Pedagogical University and Ural State University of Economics are the prominent ones.
- The Russian Academy of Sciences is also located in this city.
For more details about study in Yekaterinburg click here.
Tourist Attractions of Yekaterinburg
This city is an interesting place for planning your vacations trip to Russia. The city has many traditional and modern attractions for its visitors. The must seen places in the city are:
- Cathedral on the Blood
- The Church of Ascension
- Metro Tour of the City
- Ganina Yama
- Weir on river Iset
- Opera and the Ballet House of Ekaterinburg
Countless investment opportunities, vacations attraction and quality educational institutes are waiting for you in the wonderful city of Yekaterinburg, Russia!